Sample Submission Instructions
Typically, all testing requirements are known; however, if the sample is an unknown or if you are unsure of tests needed, contact our technical staff. In addition, there may be more than one method for the parameter needed – if specific methods are required, please specify on the Analytical Request Form (See Section 3.0). Of course, if further instructions are required, please include letters, methods, etc. as appropriate.
Determine Sample Size
A reference table is available that lists some common tests, their methods, and the amount of sample required per analyte range. The amounts listed are only a guide and are generous in nature to allow for various methods and possible retesting. Keep in mind that for some sample types, we may not be able to remove the entire amount of sample from its container. If your sample may be difficult to retrieve from its container, please send enough sample to allow for this process.
If the sample is limited, please contact our technical staff for a calculation of a more precise amount. We will need to know the type of sample and the analyte range or required detection limit for each analyte.
Analytical Request Form
Please complete an Analytical Request Form as described below and submit it along with the samples. (One ARF will suffice for several samples if the information requested and the test requirements are the same.)
- Sample I.D.: Provide your identification code for the sample. If you have multiple samples and want to only submit one ARF, leave this section blank and list your sample ID’s separately.
- Amount of sample: Estimate the amount of sample being sent.
- Report To: List the name and address of the person to receive the report.
- Phone: Important! We need this in case we have questions.
- Fax: Required for results that are to be faxed.
- E-mail: Required if you would like your report e-mailed.
Method of Payment
- Purchase Order No.: List if available. See below for additional information.
- Quote#: If a quote number was provided this is very important to ensure the testing is completed as quoted. Also provide any price confirmation number if available.
- Credit Card Info: Required if you would like to pay your bill by credit card. We accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.
Type of Service
- Turnaround: Check the desired service level
- Data Delivery: Check all that apply
- QA Requirements: Check one. Choose “Regulatory” if the testing is regulated, i.e. cGMP, GLP, EPA…
- Replicates: Check one.
- Check the regulation that applies. Contact Technical Services if you are not sure.
- If the testing is not regulated, no indication is required.
- We are an approved GLP/GMP facility, however, much of our testing is non-GLP/GMP, and as such it is necessary to provide us with notification of each GLP/cGMP sample submission. We also recommend a thorough discussion of any regulated testing with our technical staff.
- Additional charges apply for handling samples for regulated testing.
Handling and Preparation
- Check any special handling conditions that apply.
- Note: “Dry before analysis” is non-quantitative. For a quantitative loss on drying determination, cite LOD under the “Test” section.
- Check all that apply.
- ALWAYS provide a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) when available. We understand that many experimental materials may not have a material safety data sheet available; however, we do ask that you provide us with sufficient information so that we can handle your sample safely.
- It’s not necessary to cite melting point (MP), boiling point (BP) or other information. Provide if known, however.
List Analyses Desired
- Test: List the tests desired. List separately if more space is necessary. A list of our testing services can be found on our website at www.galbraith.com. If the test you are looking for is not on our website, give us a call. It is not possible for us to list every possible test we do and we are always customizing new tests for our clients.
- Theory/Range: Please specify theory or range expected, if known. This will aid us in selecting appropriate methodology and sample mass. Use this field to cite material specifications, when applicable.
- Detection Limit Req’d: List any required detection or quantitation limits. If low testing limits are needed, e.g. ppm, consider contacting our technical staff to discuss capability and sample mass requirements.
- Method: List any required methods or techniques. If left blank, we will use the method we feel most appropriate.
- IMPORTANT: If the values listed under Theory/Range are product specifications, please indicate this below the table.
Sample Type/ Structure/ Other Elements Present
- Describing your sample helps us to determine the best method for analysis. The more information we have, the better the service.
- This is also a good place to cite the purpose of testing. Often the reason why a test is being performed has a bearing on which test methods will be applied.
Authorized Release of Information
- We respect and maintain confidentiality of testing. As such, we will not share any information regarding the work we perform unless you authorize us to do so. If the testing is to remain confidential, check “No.”
- If you need your colleagues to have access to the test results or be able to inquire regarding the status of testing, check “Yes” and list their names.
Sample Return/ Disposal Authorization
- check “IS” and sign and date. We will dispose of the samples.
- If the test samples are not suitable for disposal in a landfill or you want the samples returned to you after testing, check “IS NOT” and sign and date. We will return the samples to you.
- If the samples are not suitable for disposal in a landfill and you do not want the samples returned, we apologize, but we do not have a disposal program available. The samples will be returned to you.
- Provide any additional information relevant to the handling/testing of your samples.
- Leave blank if nothing applies.
If your company will be issuing a purchase order for the sample submission, indicate the purchase order number on the appropriate line of the Analytical Request Form. If the purchase order contains testing information, methodology, special handling instructions, etc., you must include a copy of the purchase order with the sample submission along with the Analytical Request Form. Additionally, any testing information, methodology, special handling instructions, etc. should be noted accordingly on the Analytical Request Form.
Containers and Shipping
Contact a member of our technical staff to determine the container, preservative and holding time requirements.
In general, the sample container should seal and, if possible, reseal completely. We accept coolers and will return them as needed.
See U.S. Department of Transportation regulations concerning specific material transport regulations. We also recommend that you check with your carrier.
We receive samples from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM Monday through Friday. Samples received after 3.:00 PM are processed the following business day. Samples may be delivered at alternate times only by prearrangement.
When using a delivery service, use 2323 Sycamore Dr., Knoxville, TN 37921-1750. Send samples to the attention of Receiving Dept., or your Technical Manager. All priority delivery packages will be opened immediately upon arrival.
When using the U.S. mail, use P.O. Box 51610 Knoxville, TN 37950-1610. If your are using our Rush service, mark the outside shipping box “RUSH”, or use the provided RUSH stickers.